If you’re an individual who has watched the recent documentary filmed and directed by Fisher Stevens, starting Leonardo Dicaprio, Before the Flood, you’ll be well aware of the actions you can take to help the world function like it used to before crude oil and CO2 started polluting the earth’s atmosphere. If you haven’t, the answer is easy and simple: Do your part to partake in making the world a more energy-efficient planet. One simple way to do this is by purchasing solar panels for your home. Although solar panels may seem expensive up front, they’re a great purchase that will pay off in the long run. You’ll end up paying little to no expenses on your monthly energy bill; furthermore, you’ll be giving back to Mother Nature. What do you need to do in order to prepare your roof for solar energy?
How To Prepare Your Roof For Solar Panels
Before considering solar panels for your home, it’s important to make sure your home is a perfect fit for them. Unfortunately, not every home is a great candidate for solar energy. Why? Some homes don’t see enough sun to make solar panels worth the purchase and your home’s roof must be at an angle that presents optimal exposure to the sunlight. Preparing your roof for solar energy means that you’ll need to remove all the barriers that may present themselves during installation. What does this mean? It means you need to call upon a roofer you trust to have a roof inspection. The appropriate roofing repairs, services or replacements must take place prior to purchasing your solar panels.
Steps To Take
- Contact a structural engineer or another certified building expert. Why? You’ll need to confirm that your roof can accommodate the weight of the solar panels you’d like to have installed.
- Call our roofers for a roof inspection. We offer free roof inspections and can give a quote for any roof repairs or services you may need. If your roof is not in the condition to handle solar energy, our roofer can also provide you with a roof replacement quote. Another aspect to consider is a roof will only last you about 20 to 25 years and the same goes for solar panels. If you recently purchased a new roof, you may be good to have solar panels installed right away; however, if your roof is 10- to 15-years-old, a roof replacement may be recommended.
- Measure the roof. The length and width of your roof must be measured to determine whether the area of it is big enough to support the solar panels you wish to have installed. It’s suggested by solar panel installers to have at least a 200- to 400-square-foot area for the use of your solar panels.
- Consider the nature around your home. If you have a lot of trees surrounding your home, you must take them into consideration. For example, you’ll need to trim any branches that overhang on your roof, or you may need to cut down a tree in order to have effective solar panels receive direct sunlight. A local tree trimming company should be of great assistance to you if you need to have trees pruned or cut down.
- Relocate existing pipe boots, vent, satellite dishes, antennas and any other roof fittings that will be in the way during an installation. This may require the help of our roofers and/or a structural engineer to update your home’s building code. However, with our roofers standing by, we can help guide you in the right direction.
Contact Our Skilled Roofers
Are you interested in having solar panels installed on the roof of your home? Contact the leading roofers in Charlotte today to learn more about our exceptional roofing services available to you. Call us today at 704-755-4046,or request a free roof inspection.